Friday, November 2, 2012

Mirror Mirror-Who is the Steampunkish of All?

Hello Everybody!

I know I am not the most Steampunkish of all but it doesn't make me love it any less!  Gears, clocks, keys, oh my!  This is one of my first all out projects using a Steampunk theme.  So let me show you, and I will tell you more about it as you scroll down! :)

I am entering this piece into the following challenges:

LESSology: Challenge: #19 Mirror, Mirror on the Wall--upcycled mirror

Simon Says Stamp and Show: Just Add Pearl--Perfect Pearl Mist and Pearls on the Butterfiles

So here is my mirror.  Eek!  I am so happy at how it turned out.  The mirror itself is 14 inches long plus the frame around it.  I upcycled the mirror.  I bought it at Goodwill for $4-Score!! :)  There is a mix of pictures taken from inside and outside.  Experiments with lighting-what can I say?  :)


Here's another picture of the mirror. :)


Here are the gears that go up both sides of the mirror.  They are from Tim Holtz die cut.  I painted them with gold dabber and then rubbed black stamp ink on them.  Some have a little bronze distress stain.


Here is the right side.  That pocket watch is Jolee's.  Rubons are from 7 Gypsies and well as the hooks you will see.  There's a lot of Tim Holtz Ideaology on here also. :)


I put a few butterflies to bring in a feminine element.  For the butterflies I used music paper cardstock, Martha Stewart punch, Want2Scrap pearls, distress inks, Perfect Pearls mixed with water.


The hooks are from 7 Gypsies, the gear is from Bead Landing (the ones my husband bought me in my last post), and Tim Holtz philosophy :)


Here are more of those cool gears mixed in with Ideaology and a butterfly.



Here is the top of the mirror.  The 3 men are one of Tim Holtz's stamp.  I used black embossing powder than spray them with blue Dylusions spray.  Then I sprayed Perfect Pearls Mist gold on them for some shimmer.  They were very blue-so I added some bronze distress stain and some Perfect Pearls powder and water (gold and silver).  Then I inked the edges so they would stand out.  I used 3 pop dot squares stacked on top of each other (2 times) to adhere them to the mirror.  

I air balloon is from Hampton Art.  I stamped it on dictionary paper then mounted it on black cardstock.  I sprayed silver Perfect Pearls Mist on it.  The gears in the corner are rub-ons from 7 Gypsies.


Here is the bottom of the frame.  The little light bulbs are actually burned out light bulbs from the microwave. The first time my husband changed the bulb, I said can I have that?  It's really cute!  It looks like he had to change it again, because when I found them there were 2! :)  So they are recycled!


Here is the original mirror-taped off-ready for a new look.


Here are my original supplies.


Here is the mirror painted white.  I did a second layer but you could still see the old color come through.  At first I wanted the mirror to be shabby chic and girly.  But I couldn't get an even white all the way around and I am a bit impatient.  I saw a Steampunk blog hop and I had my gears so I changed the theme of my mirror.  Then I painted it with the Gold Dabber by Ranger/Tim Holtz.  I took the top off and painted it with a paintbrush.  

So here is another picture of my mirror (and me!).  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time my friends...like what you see! :)



9 comments:

Annette Allen said...

wow wee that is cool...great job..

Candy C said...

Katy...your frame is really cool. Love the steampunk feeling you've given this with all of the gears and Ideaology pieces! Nice job! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Candy C said...

HI Katy. Me again....just checking my email and I wanted to thank you for your very kind comments left on my blog about being published! I so appreciate your kind wishes! <3 Candy

Shahrul Niza said...

I'm in awe. This is an amazing steampunk mirror!. If I see this in store, I would buy it in a heart beat :). Thanks for playing along with us @ LESSology! :).

yyam said...

Oh wow! What an amazing transformation! I lovelovelove the little details you added to make this a one-of-a-kind creation!

Thank you so much for joining us at LESSology! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!! Thanks so much for playing along with LESSology!!

Lynnda said...

Oh wow... this is awesome... !!! Beautiful... you are simply amazing!!!! Love this to bits... Thanks for playing along with US over @LESSology.... hugs...xoxo

Linda said...

Oh this is great! Thanks for sharing with the challenge at LESSology.

Mynn xx said...

This is SO cool, Katy! I hope you come and play with me at the Inkspirational Challenge blog when we start up in January because I want all types of entries! Yours are always amazing! :)